Thursday 27 August 2015

Guestcard 001 - Fundraising for Nepal @ Doune the Rabbit Hole


Nepalese prayer flags, sent to [Mum]

Glastonbury Festival has a postcard stand from which you can send cards, complete with a smudge of the sticky Glasto mud, should you so desire. I've sent a few of these, usually to my mum.  But until Doune the Rabbit Hole last weekend, I'd never seen a similar stall at another festival. 

Myself and the boy were there with the Shedload of Science Science Shed, demonstrating centripetal / centrifugal force using the back end of a bike strapped to a wallpaper pasting table and a lot of paint.  It was messy.  It was fun.

A late night bar conversation held in the spaces between bands and pints of Thistly Cross told tales of a postcard stall, and I went wandering the next day.  Came across a lovely woman, and her group/stall Rangichangi Sapana, fundraising for Nepal after visiting the place a while back.  She'd taken a range of photos and had them turned into cards - not CC licensed, she said, but ok for me to post on this blog.  For an extra 50p, she'd post the cards once they left the site.

Seemed a perfect opportunity to send a card to my mum.  We keep missing each other, which is unusual.  I'm used to speaking to her most days and it feels odd not to do so. Thus, a card it is, of prayer flags dispensing blessings on the countryside.

I lucked out with my mum. She has a talent for knowing The Right Thing To Do, especially in times of crisis.  There's been a few too many of the latter recently. I'd like there to be fewer, for her not to need that special skill so often, for things to be just a little quieter.  But there are some things a body cannot change, no matter how hard a daughter wishes.  Ah well.  In the absence of a magic wand, I have a postcard, and a pen.


No comments:

Post a Comment