Wednesday 19 August 2015

Postcard 002 - Sir Cedric Lockwood Morris

Cedric Morris, sent to [my Grandad].

The second card out of this box is a self portrait of Sir Cedric Lockwood Morris.  (Artist and Plantsman, according to his gravestone.) It was painted in 1930, but given that the guy didn't die until the 1980s, it's still in copyright so no pic, I'm afraid. Oil on canvas, it's all soft pinks and browns, a knitted jumper underneath a brown jacket, and a valley of fields and trees in the background.  

I included the url to this blog on the card, but whether or not Grandad comes and finds it on his tablet, I don't know.  Hi Grandad, if you did. Do you still play Candy Crush?  I sent this one to you because of Morris' interest in horticulture, which made me think of you. 

My memories of my Grandad are of eating potatoes he'd dug up from the garden not half an hour previous, his boilersuit, and hands lined with mud.  Tomato plants in the greenhouse and the sound of a lawnmower.  Helping him lay the concrete at the back of the old house. (Well, "helping".)  My grandparents used to live next to a stables and a pub, and being a proper grown up meant being allowed to go for a pint with him before dinner.  Grandad can grow anything, and fix anything.  He works harder than anyone I know, and calls me "lass". Yorkshire. Pipe smoke. Long service to farming award at the Great Yorkshire Show. I don't see him, or Grandma, as often as I'd like. 

He has an app on his tablet that shows him flight paths, where planes are going, when they land. He likes to see where people are going, I think.  

No comments:

Post a Comment